Wednesday, February 24, 2010

road bump

Been working on my refashioning project, and finally got the collar to look like I wanted, even though the stitching is crap.

I'm afraid I might have hit a round bump with the entire project though and it makes me heart broken to think so. I dyed the dress tonight, and while it turned out okay (and I think I got the discolouration to even out enough that it is not noticeable; though really I won't be able to tell until it's dry) I found that the washing machine tore a hole in the fabric.

That's right, there is a hole the middle of my 65+ year old fabric... several seams came undone, and I ruined the belt (which I can just recreate), but for the life of me I'm not certain yet, how I will get around this. it's located right in the middle of the back section, and anything I can think to do will be something easily seen.

Wish me luck, I am not sure what I'm going to pull out of my hat for this one.

2 comments:

Heather said...

you could "darn" it with matching embroidery floss...kinda like satin stitching over the small hole...be sure you put a back fabric under the hole though to stabilize it.

Kate the Great said...

That was my original plan, but I've come up with something that I think will give the dress a bit more kick, while hiding the hole. It's hard to describe without pictures but think of a stacked bodice almost like the folds of a cumberbund going all the way around the bodice. I am taking the fabric I cut from the hem whne I shortened it, and am making something like that that I can then over lay onto the dress. Like I said, kind of hard to explain, but I think it will will look great, all said and done. That or it will be an epic failure. Either way, it's an adventure.