Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hanukkah

For several years now the boys have wanted to celebrate Hanukkah. I've often wondered why we as Christians do not celebrate it was well. It was something that began before the birth of Christ, and as descendants of the tribes of Israel, it seems to me that we would celebrate those things as well, even as modern day Christians. So this year, when Sheepie asked me if we could celebrate, I said sure!

I wanted to make sure that we were not just being flippant about it though, so I spent about a week leading up to the first night teaching the kids about the history of Hanukkah, why it's celebrated, and getting things ready to do it correctly. We checked out many books from the library, made our own Menorah, and I crocheted each of the boys their own Yarmulkes to wear.  We had a lot of fun saying the prayers each night, singing the songs and telling the stories, and of course lighting the candles. There was also some very serious dreidel playing going on at our house.


I wish I had managed to get more pictures this year! Especially since I didn't get any of the cute Menorah the boys made, and Goober broke it before I had a chance to put it away for next year.

No comments: