Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Such a September

Well, if our theme for the year was in Every Thing Give Thanks, September certainly decided it wanted to test that phrase quickly.

The very same weekend as the feast, on Sunday, as Hubby was riding home from some Bishopric meetings to help me get the kids ready for church, he had the most unprobable, how could it realistically ever happen, motorcycle accident. He was avoiding a turkey vulture on the side of the road not more than a block from the street to our neighbourhood, when a deer jumped RIGHT out in front of him. He had virtually no breaking time and hit the end of the deer, went over the handlebars, and had the bike flip and land on him. The real kicker is this, it was the first day he can ever recall not wearing his riding boots. They'd broken to the point of being unusable and so he was wearing only his suit pants and church shoes. The foot peg went into his leg and his ankle was badly broken. Had he had on his boots and riding pants he would have been sore but walked away unharmed. Such a small thing can make such a large difference.

People stopped to help him and call me. I loaded the kids (two of whom were literally naked at the time) into the van and drove up the street. It was much worse than the impression I'd been given on the phone and I think I nearly passed out (literally) when I saw him. The people who stopped to help him drove him to the hospital while I followed behind not certain of what the extent was of the injuries or what I was going to do with our kids while he was in the ER. When I got there, I called my sister in law and she called Ann Sherry, who swooped in and, having just got out of the shower herself to get ready for church, came and took my kids for me and went back to my FILTHY house to get them ready for church. Not sure what I would have done had she not picked up her phone!

The adventure ended with him being taken for MRIs and CATscans, and eventually being taken into surgery and then getting to stay at the hospital. The ankle was really quite spectacularly broken, and in the end he spent something like 8 weeks on bed rest, hobbling around on crutches, and then a walking boot. Sadly, our brand new bike was very very totalled. But many many blessings have come from the experience and from that first moment we have been able to give thanks for the love and care of our Heavenly Father and Saviour as they have watched over and provided for our little family. The love and support that was and continues to be give to us is awe inspiring and I feel humbled to think that people have thought us worthy to bestow it on. We owe so many people so many many thanks! (and although we have them, I don't think I will post the awesome wound pictures. Mr. C says it is too graphic for general audience. :P)

Before life could slow down from that adventure, it kicked it into high gear by having school start. The boys were over the moon. We had the treat of having two repeat teachers this year, Brenda from the preschool is a standard at our house, and the amazing Mrs. Winograd, who teaches the kinders at the boys school. FP also got a treat in having a new teacher in 1st grad and Mrs. T is out of this world. She is exactly what he needs in a teacher and he has been thriving since the start of the school year.

In a moment he's been waiting for his whole life, Boy FINALLY got to take 'First Day of School' pictures. Doesn't he look like he's been doing this for ages.

Brenda was amazing and let him join the preschool even though he wasn't three yet. He was so very ready to be in a classroom with other kids his age.

I'm not all that sure what happened to FP's picture, but here is Sheepie. Isn't he a doll?

Sheepie was so over the moon about his glasses, but sadly just a few weeks after getting them, Boy got ahold of them and flushed them down the loo. My brother in law was able to get them out for us, but not in one piece. The insurance wouldn't replace them, so his lovely reading glasses have been gone since. He gets a new pair in a few days!

One of the most notable changes of September though was that it was the month both the older boys really started to read. They could both do so for a while, but it seemed that with the start of school they both finally wanted to be readers and they haven't looked back since. I'm always walking into a room and finding a book in their hands. I LOVE it!

I took on a few hair and makeup projects for a local designer in September because I apparently wasn't busy enough. I, honestly, was very glad to have something of my own to work on. The work turned out lovely and it was nice to have some current stuff to add to my portfolio.

The last adventure around our house was when Sheepie got to bring home his special visitor from class. If you remember, last year FP had Franklin come home to visit,

this year Sheepie got to bring him his own special friend.

As you can see from the pictures, Corduroy the Bear came to spend the night with us, and we had some fun adventures. As is the case when special guests come, they are allowed to go to karate, and go out for a special treat (and then they must brush their teeth afterwards). We made him a new pillow to take on subsequent sleep overs and then it was time to read some of his stories and head to bed. Sheepie even made him an extra special bed. Sheepie also ended up getting sick in the middle of the night so Corduroy got to spend several days at our house and then take a magical trip through the washing machine before he went back to the kinder class.

What a month!

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

Well I don't want them just showing up on when people come to your blog, but here are the ankle pictures: